The groundbreaking farm succession course that focuses on the first few years when a son or daughter transitions from farm kid to partner.
Watch a quick, 3-minute preview of this course.
Coming Home to Farm
Just like many young adults who can’t wait to marry their sweetheart, many farm families can’t wait for their kids to join the family business. Yet, it’s not all sunshine and unicorns…sadly most marriages and farming partnerships are ending in divorce instead of happily ever after. Churches have found “pre-marriage” classes help young couples PROACTIVELY identify potential problems in their marriage and set the pragmatic framework for a lifetime partnership beyond the "honeymoon." This is the first course that acts as a “pre-marriage class” for farm families before the young farmer “marries” the farm for life.
This course does not discuss estate planning. It focuses on how the successor will be gradually groomed into management over the next decade and how the family will work together as a team.
Get the big picture of what this course is about in this 20-minute video
Its purpose is to help farm families become aware of common problems they would never anticipate and set the framework for success during the first five years when son or daughter join the business partnership. It covers everything from how to motivate partners to get out of bed to how to prevent conflicts with newlywed spouses…the soft issues which often become the hard problems that kill farming partnerships!
The course has been designed so you only need to listen (like you do a podcast) while you work and then at day’s end, spend 20 minutes looking over the thought-provoking questions that follow each module. This course can be completed in as little as a week if you simply listen an hour a day. The two-hour exam that concludes the course will challenge your goals and beliefs, fundamentally shifting the trajectory of your future.
When you have successfully completed the course, Andy Junkin will sit down with you in a one-on-one career/life-planning session. He will then after meet with your entire family (should multiple family members enroll in the course) to help everyone get on the same page for how the family will work together over the next five years.
This course was designed to fit into a busy farm family’s life schedule, so that a family can take the course during spring planting individually and then have a life-changing family conversation on the next rainy day! It is being adapted as core curriculum at several agriculture colleges in United States, Canada, and the UK. It is a game-changer to improve the odds of your family farming together in ten years’ time!
Quick Course Overview:
- 6 hours of video and questions that can be completed in as little as a week if you simply listen an hour a day and spend 20 minutes at the end of each day reflecting on thought-provoking questions.
- 2-hour exam (end of course) that will challenge your goals and beliefs, fundamentally shifting the trajectory of your future.
- One-on-one meeting. When you have completed the online course, Andy Junkin will meet with you via Zoom.us in an hour-long, one-on-one career/life-planning session.
- Family meeting. Andy will then meet with your entire family (if several family members take the course) for a few hours pro bono after everyone has completed the course. This strategic planning session will help everyone get on the same page for how the family will work together over the next five years.
- This course is a ten-hour investment of your time which will profoundly impact the next ten years of your life!
Courses are divided into younger and older generations. Please sign up accordingly to take full advantage of customized questions!
To maximize full potential from this course, it is imperative that all key family members who will be/are a part of day to day operations in 2022 participate.